What is the state minimum wage? 

  • $13.18/per hour
  • $6.59/per hour for tipped employees

What do I need to know about state withholding tax?

  • All income earned by Vermont residents and part-year residents is subject to Vermont withholding tax
  • All Income earned by non-residents within Vermont is subject to Vermont withholding tax unless the income was:
    • For a dramatic performance in a commercial film as long as the income is excluded from personal income tax in the state of residence
    • Full-time, active duty pay while stationed in Vermont from the armed services when the pay is earned outside of Vermont
    • For activities or services to create or maintain a web or internet site
  • New employers are required to register for a withholding account. Click here to register online.

What forms do employees need to set up state withholding?

  • W-4VT – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

What do I need to know about unemployment tax?

  • 2023 Taxable Wage Base – $13,500
  • 2023 New Employer UI Rate – 1.0%
  • With few exceptions, new employers are required to register for an unemployment tax account. Click here to register.

How do I report new hires to the state?

  • Register and report new hires online
  • Mail or Fax New Hire Reporting Form
  • VDOL – New Hire Reporting
    5 Green Mountain Drive
    P.O. Box 488
    Montpelier, VT 05601-0488
  • Fax: (802) 828-4286
  • Phone: (802) 828-4344

How do I submit Child Support payments?

  • Register and remit payments online
  • Mail coupon and payment to:
    Office of Child Support
    PO Box 1310
    Williston, VT 05495-1310
  • Phone: (800) 786-3214

Additional Resources:


Vermont Department of Labor Vermont Workforce Development
Vermont Department of Taxes Vermont Employer Information Manual
Vermont Tax Law and Guidance Vermont Employer’s Workers’ Compensation
Vermont Employer Handbook – Child Support

Get A Quote For Vermont Payroll Services

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.