What is the state minimum wage? 

  • $9.95/hour
  • No tip credit, meal credit, or training wage is allowed under Montana’s Wage & Hour Laws

What do I need to know about state withholding tax?

  • Income earned within Montana is subject to withholding tax for both residents and non-residents – including non-resident aliens
  • Montana and North Dakota have a reciprocal agreement – (Montana will not tax North Dakota residents on compensation for personal or professional services performed in Montana).
  • New employers are required to register for a withholding account. Click here to register.

What forms do employees need to set up state withholding?

  • Form MW-4 – Montana Employee’s Withholding Allowance and Exemption Certificate

What do I need to know about unemployment tax?

  • 2023 Taxable Wage Base – $40,900
  • 2023 New Employer UI Rate – Industry rated – (Find New Employer Industry rate here)
  • With few exceptions, new employers are required to register for an unemployment tax account. Click here to register.

How do I report new hires to the state?

How do I submit Child Support payments?

  • Remit payments online
    Montana CSSD ATTN: TAPP
    PO Box 8001
    Helena, MT 59604-8001
  • Fax: (406) 444-1370
  • Phone: (406) 444-6856
  • Email: [email protected]

Additional Resources:

Montana New Hire Reporting Guide Montana Department of Labor & Industry
Montana Forms & Documents Employer’s Guide to Unemployment Insurance
Montana Wage and Hour Labor Law Reference Guide Montana Workers’ Compensation – Employer’s Resources

Get A Quote For Montana Payroll Services

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.