What is the state minimum wage

  • $7.25/hour (equals federal minimum wage)

What do I need to know about state withholding tax?

  • Wisconsin taxes all income earned by residents, and income earned in Wisconsin for nonresidents.
  • Wisconsin has reciprocity agreements with Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan – residents of these states are not required to pay Wisconsin income tax.
  • New employers are required to register for a withholding account.  Click here to register online or click here to complete a paper application.
  • Withholding Tax FAQs

What forms do employees need to set up state withholding?

  • WT-4 – Employee’s Wisconsin Withholding Exemption Certificate
  • W-220 – Nonresident Employee’s Withholding Reciprocity Declaration

What do I need to know about unemployment tax?

  • 2024 Taxable Wage Base – $14,000
  • 2024 New Employer UI Rate – 2.50% for new employers with payroll < $500,000; 3.25% for new employers with payroll > $500,000
  • With few exceptions, new employers are required to register for an unemployment tax account. Click here to register.

How do I report new hires to the state?

How do I submit Child Support payments?

Additional Resources:

Wisconsin Department of Revenue Wisconsin Withholding Tax Forms
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development Wisconsin Department of Children and Families
New Hire Reporting Brochure Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance Handbook for Employers

Get A Quote For Wisconsin Payroll Services

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.