What is the state minimum wage?
- In Virginia, all 14-15-year-old workers are required to obtain an Employment Certificate (Work Permit) and have limits on the hours they can work.
What do I need to know about state withholding tax?
- Virginia has entered into reciprocity agreements with other states for individuals who earn income in states other than their states of residence
- The agreements allow those individuals to be taxed only by their state of residence on income, provided that certain conditions are met.
- Terms of the agreements eliminate a nonresident’s liability for Virginia income tax, as well as the requirement for withholding from payments made for services performed in Virginia.
- Current reciprocity agreements affect Virginia withholding requirements for residents of the following states:
- Kentucky, the District of Columbia, Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania
- More information and provisions for the reciprocity agreements can be found here.
- New employers are required to register for a withholding account. Click here to register online.
What forms do employees need to set up state withholding?
- Form VA-4 – Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Taxation – Personal Exemption Worksheet
What do I need to know about unemployment tax?
- 2023 Taxable Wage Base – $8,000
- 2023 New Employer UI Rate – 2.5%
- With few exceptions, new employers are required to register for an unemployment tax account. Click here to register.
How do I report new hires to the state?
- Register and report new hires online
- Complete and submit paper form for reporting to:
- Virginia New Hire Reporting Center
PO Box 3757
Dublin, OH 43016
- Fax: (800) 688-2680
- Phone: (800) 979-9014
How do I submit Child Support payments?
- Register and remit payments online
- Mail payments to:
Division of Child Support Enforcement P.O. Box 570
Richmond, VA 23218-0570
- Phone: (800) 468-8894
- Email: email@example.com
Get A Quote For Virginia Payroll Services