What is the state minimum wage? 

  • $11.20/hour
  • $5.60/hour – tipped employees

What do I need to know about state withholding tax?

  • N/A – no state income tax

What forms do employees need to set up state withholding?

  • N/A – no state income tax

What do I need to know about unemployment tax?

  • 2024 Taxable Wage Base – $15,000
  • 2024 New Employer UI Rate – 1.2%, plus 0.55% Investment Fee; 6% plus 0.55% Investment Fee for construction industry employers. 
  • With few exceptions, new employers are required to register for an unemployment tax account. Click here to register.

How do I report new hires to the state?

How do I submit Child Support payments?

  • To submit via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), contact the Division of Child Support EFT Coordinator at 605.773.3641. 
    • The Division of Child Support requires a case reconciliation to be completed prior to EFT commencing.  
  • Mailed payments to:
    South Dakota Child Support Office
    510 N Cambell St
    Rapid City, SD 57701
  • Phone: (605) 394-2525

Additional Resources:

South Dakota Department of Labor South Dakota Division of Child Support – Employer Services
South Dakota Department of Revenue South Dakota State Laws
South Dakota Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Insurance) – Employer Handbook

Get A Quote For South Dakota Payroll Services

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.